Why am I raising money for land?
- To provide future security for many of the children New Hope currently care for.
- It is almost impossible for a young person with an ordinary job from a lower income family or background to buy land. Many don’t have the cash, and land is 99% sold for cash, with no payment plans.
- New Hope want to provide each child with a piece of land, their priorities will start with their orphaned girls with no family support. No matter how remote land may seem from a town today, its value will always hold.
- When a person owns even the smallest section of land, they become established.
- They will receive a Local Tax Book and that means a right to Vote, a right to a Ration Card, as well as being able to claim residence benefits.
- If they marry and build even the simplest single room house with their husbands loan and the land is in their name, their children have a right to education in the given area, free and subsidised.
- A young woman might have a job in a nearby city and have a better opportunity if she purchased a sewing machine or even a computer, or started a small trade kiosk, the Land Title would provide collateral for a small scale government loan.
- New Hope have already managed to give land to senior orphan girls and feel that they have given them something of long term worth, a piece of independence.
- The land is located within a mile or so of four major colleges, offering courses from engineering to agriculture. It is also dry, flat and flood-free.
- New Hope have identified a suitable piece of land which is 1 acre. When all settled and fenced, with plots, it will cost £8575 and would provide 14 girls with their own plot of land.
- Maybe the easiest way to express the cost is around £2.00 per square yard or £612.50 per plot
Click here for further information on why I am raising money for land.